Festive Fitness - Healthy Mince Pies!
Our SWEAT! staff aren't only crazy about the gym - they're also pretty clued up on nutrition as well.
Studies have shown that the average person will eat 8000 calories on Christmas Day, that's more than 4x the daily recommend allowance.
Our SWEAT! friendly staffer Abi, though, has a way of making part of Christmas just that little bit healthier.
Indulge in some healthy mince pies this Festive Season
Mince pies are a staple in any home over Christmas, and Abi has the recipe designed to make at least one aspect of the Christmas menu a little bit less guilty.
The recipe is easy to follow and will make 12 mince pies - to share!
These mince pies may be healthy alternatives to store bought pastries, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and think eating all 12 by yourself will mean you're being good this Christmas.
Abi's healthy mince pies
For the crust
– 400g of ground almonds
– 6 tablespoons of coconut oil
– 4 tablespoons of water
– 20 medjool dates (400g)
For the mince
– 2 apples (200g)
– 1 vanilla pod
– 100g raisins
– 100g sultanas
– 100g dried cranberries
– the juice of 2 oranges
– 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
– 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon of ginger
- Start by making the mince. Chop the apples into small pieces (discarding the core) and place them into a saucepan
- Slice the vanilla pod in half and scrape the seeds into the pan. Then add in all the remaining ingredients and stir
- Let the mince simmer for about 30 minutes, until the apples are nice and soft
While the mince cooks make the crust.
- Place all the crust ingredients together in a food processor and blend for a minute or so until everything has combined and the dates are completely broken down.
- Sprinkle flour over a surface and roll the mix out until it’s about half a centimetre thick
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Grease muffin tins with coconut oil and then mould the mix into the individual tins, once you’ve done this cut the remaining mixture into shapes (I normally do stars), these will go on top of the pies.
- Place the tray of crusts in the oven for 8 minutes or until they start to turn golden brown – at which point take them out and allow them to cool while the mince mix finishes cooking
- Once the mince has cooked start assembling the pies. Simply add two heaped teaspoons of mince into each pie before placing a star over the middle of the mince. Bake the pies again for 8 minutes
- Once they’ve baked leave for twenty minutes to cool and finish setting before enjoying!
For more healthy recipes to accompany your SWEAT! workout, visit our blog for more tasty ideas.